UBOS is the principal data collecting, processing, analysing and disseminating agency responsible for coordinating and supervising the National Statistical System.
The Uganda Bureau of Statistics, formerly known as the Statistics Department under the Ministry of Finance, Planning and Economic Development, was transformed into a semi-autonomous body by the Uganda Bureau of Statistics Act No. 12, 1998.
The decision to establish the Bureau arose from the need for an efficient and user-responsive agency that would meet the growing demand for statistics on the social, economic and political developments in the country.
The Bureau is, therefore, coordinating “the development and maintenance of a National Statistical System which will ensure collection, analysis and dissemination of integrated, reliable and timely statistical information.
The UBOS Vision
“A Centre Of Excellence In Statistical Production, Development And Dissemination In Africa”
The UBOS Mission
To Provide quality and demand driven statistics that support policy , decision making, research and development initiatives.
Our Mandate or Core Business is the Production, coordination and dissemination of official socio-economic statistics
- Production means the collection and processing of data and the analysis and publication of official statistics. It also means coordination, monitoring and supervising statistics published by other statistical data producers.
- Coordination means that we ensure that published data adhere to standard concepts, definitions, classifications and methods.
- Dissemination means that the statistics are accessed by the end users in a timely and user friendly manner.
- Official means that the statistics produced have been endorsed by the Bureau as reliable, relevant, coherent and that they conform with internationally accepted standards.
Functions or Main tasks
The bureau is the principal data collection and disseminating agency responsible for coordination , monitoring and supervising the National Statistical System. The main tasks as identified in the Act are:
To be responsible for:
- Providing high quality central statistical information services on social, environmental and economic conditions in the country. This task can be carried out in conjunction with other producers of statistics.
Promoting standardization in the collection, analysis and publication of statistics. This would ensure uniformity in quality, adequacy of coverage and reliability of statistical information.
- Providing guidance, training and other assistance as may be required to other usrs and providers of statistics
- Promoting co-operation, coordination and rationalization among users and providers of statistics at national and local level as to avoid duplication of effort and ensure optimal utilization of scarce resources.
- Promoting and being the focal point of cooperation with statistics users and providers at regional and international levels.
To be a source of official statistical information
As a central institution responsible for the collection, processing and publication of statistical information, other statistics producers need to coordinate with the bureau if they intend to collect and publish statistics that can be considered official. Equally the bureau must create an environment conducive to co-ordination and collaboration between data producers to enable them to willingly seek endorsement of their statistical data.