The AAS is a national survey representative at the regional, sub-regional and zardi level. The National territory has been divided in 10 ZARDIs which are aligned to 10 Agro-ecological zones in Uganda. Each agro-ecological zone include districts with similar climate, land use and cropping patterns. The following are the 10 Zardis considered for the AAS:
1) Abi: districts included are Arua, Nebbi, Moyo, Adjumani, Koboko, Yumbe, Maracha-Terego and Zombo;
2) Buginyanya: districts included are Sironko, Mbale, Iganga, Jinja, Tororo, Mayuge, Namutumba, Namayingo, Luuka,Kamuli, Kaliro, Buyende, Bugiri, Pallisa, Kibuku, Butaleja, Busia, Budaka, Manafwa, Kween, Kapchorwa, Bulambuli, Bukwo and Bududa;
3) Bulindi: districts included are Hoima, Masindi, Kiryandongo, Kibaale, and Buliisa;
4) Kachwekano: districts included are Kabale, Rukungiri, Kanungu and Kisoro;
5) Mukono: districts included are Mukono, Mpigi, Kayunga, Kalangala, Kampala, Luwero, Masaka, Nakasongola, Mubende, Wakiso, Nakaseke, Buikwe, Buvuma, Mityana, Kiboga, Kyankwanzi, Gombe, Kalungu, Bukomansimbi, Butambala and Lwengo;
6) Ngetta: districts included are Lira, Apac, Dokolo, Lamwo, Nwoya, Agago, Albetong, Amolatar, Kole, Otuke, Oyam, Pader,Kitgum, Amuru and Gulu;
7) Nabuin: districts included are Moroto, Nakapiripirit, Kotido, Napak, Amudat, Kaabong and Abim;
8) Serere: districts included are Serere, Kumi, Bukedea Amuria, Ngora, Katakwi, Soroti and Kaberamaido;
9) Mbarara: districts included are Mbarara, Ntungamo, Bushenyi, Kiruhura, Lyantonde, Sheema, Rubirizi, Mitoma, Isingiro,Ibanda, Buhweju, Sembabule, and Rakai;
10) Rwebitaba: districts included are Bundubugyo, Kabarole, Kamwenge, Kasese, Kyegegwa, Kyenjojo and Ntoroko.
Being an urban area, Kampala has been excluded from the survey. Also Ntoroko district was not included in the sample.