The Uganda Bureau of Statistics (UBOS) Act, 1998 provides for the development and maintenance of a National Statistical System (NSS) to ensure collection, analysis and publication of integrated, relevant, reliable and timely statistical information. It established the Bureau as the coordinating, monitoring and supervisory body for the National Statistical System. In addition to being the source of official statistical information, the Bureau is responsible for:
- providing high quality central statistics information services;
- promoting standardisation in the collection, analysis and publication of statistics to ensure uniformity in quality, adequacy of coverage and reliability of statistics information;
- providing guidance, training and other assistance as may be required to other users and providers of statistics;
- promoting cooperation, coordination and rationalization among users and providers of statistics at national and local levels so as to avoid duplication of effort and ensure optimal utilization of scarce resources;
- promoting and being the focal point of cooperation with statistics users and providers at regional and international levels.
A World Class National Statistics Office (NSO)
To Coordinate the National Statistical System and provide quality statistics and statistical services that support development processes.
Evidence Based Culture
|The Bureau shall uphold internationally acceptable laws, ethics, conventions and standards of the statistical profession in order to produce quality statistics.
|The Bureau shall adhere to an ethical code of conduct, transparency and honesty in statistical production and dissemination.
|3. Mutual Respect:
|The Bureau staff shall uphold mutual respect as a key value among staff at different levels.
|4. Team Work:
|The Bureau shall maintain effective team spirit through encouraging individual and team motivation.
|5. User orientation:
|The Bureau shall in execution of its mandate be demand driven and respond to user needs and priorities.
|This refers to changes of techniques, approaches, technical activities or technologies to produce a statistics of offer a statistical service. It is about improvement of existing processes, investing in new processes and innovating to create value (new value-added products and services) that will meet the emerging needs of current and future data users.
|The users and hence demand for data and statistics are fast growing both nationally and internationally. The Bureau will put in place measures to ensure that the needs of all users are taken into consideration in the design and implementation of all data collection activities. However, the Bureau will remain cognizant of the fact that it is not the sole producer of statistics. In this regard, efforts will be made to build the capacity of other producers of statistics in the country.
|3. Use of technology
|With the increasing demand for micro-level and real time data for decision-making, the Bureau will embrace the use of modern technology in all stages along the statistics value chain.
Attainment of the Vision and mission will be guided by:
To Develop and Maintain an Integrated, Coherent and Reliable National Statistical System.